Slade

Odds and sods about the British rock band Slade

Sunday, August 14, 2005

A new "new" Slade concert, Vissenbjerg, the 5th of August 2005

It was pouring down with rain when I took the bus to Vissenbjerg at 7 p.m from Odense. When the bus arrived at a quarter to eight the rain was even worse. I walked to the sports centre, where the concert was held, and of course the doors were locked. I had been told by the organizer of the concert to go right in, head for the office and get my press card. So what does the shrewd reporter do? Well, I found an unlocked back door to a cafeteria and went in that way.
I found the office, but no one knew about a press card and the organizer was in a meeting and couldn't be reached. Therefore I strolled off through the corridors in the sports centre. I could hear Slade sound checking so I followed the noize and found an entrance to the concert hall. Security people and staff from the sports centre were everywhere, but then I spotted Don's girlfriend, Hanne, standing close to the stage. I went into the concert hall thinking that if I could make it to her, I would be in the clear. So I walked in casually as if I belonged to the entourage and I actually reached her without being stopped. It was very nice seeing her again and shortly after Dave and John came off stage so she introduced me to them. John was very friendly; Dave a bit more reserved.
Hanne had to go order food for the guys and I thought that I might as well go back to the office to see if the organizer had finished his meeting. I only got halfway through the concert hall, though, before Don came off stage, called, "Hi, Lise!" and went on to give me a hug and a kiss. It was good seeing him again and he got very concerned when he learned that I hadn't got my press card, yet, and was sneaking around in order not to get caught. He obviously didn't realise that after his greeting the security people no longer regarded me a threat. Anyway, I said to Don not to worry and he went off to the backstage facilities, but came back immediately to ask me to join him. So I went backstage with him where he introduced me once again to Dave and John, but also to Mal who was very nice. Don then poured me a cup of tea and we chatted until it was time for the guys to go on stage. Among other things Don said, that he loved the headline of one of the articles that I have been writing on him lately: "From Mid-England to Mid-Jutland" (where his girlfriend lives). Then he showed me his gum shield, which is covered with bite marks!
At one point I popped off to go to the office, and lo and behold, the organizer was there! He handed me my press card before asking, "Would you like to meet the band now?" It was so funny! I had to tell him that I'd spent the last hour with the band. When Don saw my press card he said, "Finally you're safe!"
The guys then changed into stage clothes and Don came up to me and said, "See!" He really looked like a boxer. A rock'n'roll boxer. They all lined up for protection from the security, as the band had to walk through the audience to get on stage. It was strange walking through the crowds with Slade. Stage side Dave, John and Mal were handed their guitars while the organizer gave a short introduction from stage. Then Don went on followed shortly after by the rest of the band. As usual Dave got the loudest cheers.
The concert started, and what can I say? It was the first time that Slade performed with Mal on Danish grounds and it was also the first time ever that I heard Mal sing. He did a great job. He's no Noddy Holder, but he actually does sing in the same keys as Nod and his voice suits the band fine. There was a lot more energy to the band than when I saw them back in February. Dave is unbelievable. I don't know how a man his age, or anyone at any age for that matter, can bounce around stage so energetically and with such high spirits for so long. Eat your heart out, Mick Jagger! Dave and Mal seemed to have a great time together, really fooling around, walking/dancing side by side, playing back to back and doing other crazy stunts. Also John seemed more outgoing than the last time I saw him and Don was in high spirits. When throwing away a broken drumstick, Don accidentally hit Dave in the back of the head with it! The whole band snickered and for a long time Dave mockingly complained about it.
The set list was pretty much the same as it had been at the February concert with pretty much the same routines, but with "Merry Xmas Everybody" ending the encores. Here Dave sported a silver Christmas hat. Hanne stood in the wings hiding the hat until he needed it, helping John and Dave change during the concert etc. I actually wondered what Slade did before Don met her, as she seems to be the one who has everything running like clockwork, both on and off stage.
After the last encore Mal thanked the audience, " Thank you very much from Sweet." Then he looked very funny and said, "I mean Slade!" When he came off stage he said, "I messed it up! Do you think anyone noticed?" It was hilarious. I guess the Sweet-Slade merger is now complete! Should they call themselves Sweet Slade or Slayed Sweet, I wonder? Both names seem appropriate, as the guys from Slade are really sweet and Sweet must be slayed by them by now, when a former member joins the competing band, even on Andy Scott's recommendation.
Slade left the stage and when passing me my left arm got soaked with Dave's sweat. There seems to be a recurring theme concerning me and the sweat of Slade. Maybe they shouldn't call themselves Sweet Slade but Sweat Slade? The guys were led off by security to the backstage area, but I waited for Hanne while she was going on stage to get what Don needed of his gear. She took time to hand out drumsticks to the audience as well.
Anyway, we had to make our way out of the concert hall in the midst of the audience, but we managed. We went backstage, and the guys had something to eat before they went straight on to a mini-van that was to take them to the airport. They were to play in Sweden the day after and then in England the day after that. Don laughed at me, because I had temporarily loss of hearing on one ear, as I had to stand in front of a speaker to take some photos while they were on stage.
When I wandered off to the bus stop to get home the mini-van passed me at a crossing. I think that someone inside was waving but I'm not sure, as it was pretty dark. I walked a kilometre to the stop where I had to wait in a pitch-dark country road for 40 minutes before the bus arrived. But I'm not one to complain about the dark. Slade and I have a history concerning dark country roads, it seems, but it always ends well. I got home in one piece and while I'm writing this, my ears are still ringing from the concert.

2 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lise,
thanks a lot for this nice report.
We will go on Friday 19th of August at Imatra. I hope, we can also meet the boyz.
Keep on this great work.
K.O.R.
Monika
WWW.POPROCKNEWS.COM

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Lise Lyng Falkenberg said...

Hi Monika,
Have fun at Imatra. I'll see the boyz the day after in the Danish town Ølstykke.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home