Slade

Odds and sods about the British rock band Slade

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Liverpool Royal Court Theatre, 1983

Recently I had the opportunity to watch a DVD of a recording from Liverpool Royal Court Theatre, December 18, 1983, where Slade gave their final concert in England (without knowing). The DVD claims to be the one and only full concert record in existence of Slade, which is not entirely true, as there's the concert taped at the Winterland Arena in San Francisco, 1975, as well.
Anyway, this Liverpool concert runs a little over an hours. The quality of both sound and picture is rather lousy, but what the heck. It's Slade! As hot and energetic as ever. Playing in front of an experienced audience that knows all the lines, singing along and shouting “Yeah!” at all the right times.
The set list is:
Rock'n'Roll Preacher
When I'm Dancin' I Ain't Fightin'
Take Me Bak 'Ome
My Oh My
A Night To Remember
Lock Up Your Daughters
Gudbuy T'Jane
We'll Bring The House Down
Hot Love
Get Down And Get With It
and for the encores:
You'll Never Walk Alone
Mama Weer All Crazee Now
Merry Xmas Everybody
This is really a great concert with many highlights. A great rendition of Bak 'Ome with Jim sticking his bass to the stacks, Dave doing an "Egyptian" dance and Nod freaking out on vocals.
Nod's banter is as always witty, for instance when after My Oh My he talks about doing Top of The Pops: "I said to the cameraman, I said, can you make sure you get me best side. He said, we can't get a camera up your arse."
Don's doing one heck of a job during Jane followed by House Down. He sure is a hard-working lad! And it was great seeing the guys do T. Rex' Hot Love with Jim on lead while Nod was taking a break.
I also enjoyed the speedy version of Get Down and of course MXE with Nod in a Santa's costume. A Christmas tree is being lowered down on stage, but Nod doesn't realise until Dave points it out to him. Great. The whole thing ends with the then obligatory Singing In The Rain.
I think the whole concert is fantastic, but it probably comes as no surprise to anyone that I'm especially fond of the Jim/Don-solos during Night To Remember. Jim does a great Purple Haze on bass as fast as only Jim can do it, and Don has an intermezzo on drums before Jim is back on violin. His superbly diabolical Rhapsody In Blue has plenty of audience participation before he finishes off with doing the gallop infernal from Offenbach's Orpheus, playing the violin under his arm, through his legs, lying on his back on the floor. Fantastic!
Well, zap, back to the present. It's truly a wonderful concert and you're left with the thought, why, why, why did they stop touring! What a waste!
Anyway, thanks for the view, mate!

6 Comments:

At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello there.
is there some way the long suffering fans of Slade can FINALLY be allowed to see this concert,or do we have to write a book about one of the members first? the fact that you have now been able to see the show,and post stills and comments about it,really rubs our noses in it;-(

we have recently been screwed by the last dvd,,the pointless box set,and many other compilations of stuff we ALL already have.

this concert is much sought after amongst the Slade fans, but for some utterly nonsensical reason we are not allowed to see it.
id appreciate any comments you.or maybe even Don have about this.
SOMEBODY MUST have an answer!

thank you
JimmyD

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Lise Lyng Falkenberg said...

I was not allowed to see this because I am writing Don's biography and I even doubt that Don has ever seen it himself! I happened to see it by chance through some other friends and as I write about everything that I see regarding Slade, it ended up on my blog.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger ronster500 said...

I was at that show!!

Would dearly love to see this footage, even if it is crap quality. That was the first Slade gig I saw, being a mere stripling in 1983, little did I know it would be my ONLY Slade gig!! :D

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger Ken Campbell said...

If only I could have gone ahead and released my DVD to everyone who wanted a copy. Alas the original Betamax tape that I filmed it on is collecting dust in a box in the attic. Sorry Slade fans, speak to the Slade Management and ask them to lift the ban on me and then we'll all get to see it. Ken Campbell.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

For me the best rock band.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The full concert is on Youtube at the moment

 

Post a Comment

<< Home